MUSIC CHANGES LIVES.
Access to music education can change the course of a life, a neighborhood, and an entire community. Roots & Wings is The Front Porch’s comprehensive music education program designed to build musicians from the inside out. We partner with organizations committed to serving children in challenging circumstances to offer group music classes and individualized musical mentorships in locations throughout the community. Roots & Wings focuses on the importance of creating trusting relationships in order to open the creative musical potential of children.
Roots and Wings Locations
- Blue Ridge Juvenile Detention -195 Peregory Ln, Charlottesville, VA 22902
- Walker Upper Elementary – 1564 Dairy Rd, Charlottesville, VA 22903
- Southwood Boys and Girls Club – 387 Hickory St, Charlottesville, VA 22902
- Westhaven Community Center -803 Hardy Dr, Charlottesville, VA 22903
- Burnley Moran Elementary – 1300 Long St, Charlottesville, VA 22901
- Greenbrier Elementary – 2228 Greenbrier Dr, Charlottesville, VA 22901
- Venable Elementary (Leadership Club) – 406 14th St NW, Charlottesville, VA 22903
- Mountain View Elementary – 1757 Avon Street Ext, Charlottesville, VA 22902
- Friendship Court Community Center – 418 Garrett St Charlottesville, VA 22902
Performing Artists Hired
A few of the boys come to music class bubbling over with musical experience and drive, so excited to release their creativity and knowledge and make some truly excellent noise. One student played drums with his church, another grew up singing at his uncle’s recording studio. We write chord progressions and the boys with musical experience help the newer musicians learn the basics to play along.
Being part of the choir was enormously valuable for my three children and for myself. It brought our family together with families that we don’t always have the chance to get to know informally. We are so grateful for the beautiful music our kids learned and performed, as well as for the friendships we built and relationships we forged with people from different backgrounds and cultures.
Stay In Touch
Sign up for our newsletter for the latest updates on outreach programs (and concerts, of course!).