The Skill, Art & Heart of Vocal Improvisation: Creating Music of the Moment with Lori Derr
$156 to register for the 6-week workshop course
Sunday, September 8th through Sunday, October 13th from 2:00 – 3:00 pm
Learn the foundational elements for participating and leading improvisational community singing known as “Circle Singing”.
Join us for some *Sonic Joy* as we experience the pleasures of engaging the body and voice as ever-expanding vehicles for music-making in this improvisational group singing experience.
We will listen for what *Music* wants from us as we co-create compositions through an exploration of Rhythm, Melody, Language elements, and Harmonies.
We will invite the *music of the moment* into our bodies, hearts, and voices as we feel and hear our spontaneous compositions take shape.
In this 6 week series, we will use improv singing games and forms to:
1) Develop the Foundational Skills to Participate and Lead Circle Singing
2) Co-create Music of the Moment in a group of singers
3) Develop Deep Listening Skills to your own musical voice and those of others
4) Explore Rhythms
5) Explore and Play with Elements of Language
6) Explore Harmonies and How to hear harmonies
7) Develop Melodies
8) Develop and create the rise and fall of an engaging solo.
Sing to the Edge and Beyond of Your Creative Comfort Zone!
We will emphasize the foundational elements of Leader-led “Circle Singing”, as presented by Bobby McFerrin, and Shared Leadership Vocal Improv forms as developed and taught by Rhiannon – “The Vocal River Forms”.
“Stay close to any sounds that make you glad you are alive” ~ Hafiz
WHO SHOULD SIGN UP?
- This course is recommended for experienced singers who enjoy ensemble singing as well as solo singers. A singing background in choir and/or small vocal or instrumental ensembles is suggested.
- For ages 16 and above. Consideration will be made to admit younger singers if the student has had some experience in vocal or instrumental ensembles.
- The class size is limited to 15 singers.
What students are saying:
- “Lori, your teaching was such a gift to us!… I’m so glad you’re continuing to pass the torch and spread the joy of circle singing!”-(P.M.- a member of Lori’s “Improvisational and Contemplative Choir”)
- ”Lori’s passion and skill at leading vocal improvisation is a joy to experience. I highly recommend her class!” -Cleo Keller
- “Lori’s Improv choir was a delight! I went from having little experience with vocal improvisation at the start to developing the skills and confidence in my own ability to improvise song and lead others in vocal improvisation. She created an environment of *serious playfulness*, encouraging everyone to work at our edge while holding the container of the group with her grounded presence. ( C.K.-a member of Lori’s “Improvisational and Contemplative Choir”)