- This event has passed.
Cancelled – Ukulele 2A for Kids – Pete Vigour
November 15, 2018 @ 4:15 pm - 5:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 4:15pm on Thursday, repeating until December 6, 2018
Description: This class is for students who have progressed through the beginner level. Students starting this class are comfortable playing a number of simple tunes in the keys of A, D, and G with consistent rhythm. In addition to learning new tunes and fancier variations to familiar tunes, this class will introduce students to faster tempos and more complex rhythms, including ¾ time. Students will also continue learning about chords and scales and will be introduced to harmony.
A passing jam will be held for 15mins after each kid’s core class for ukulele, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, and banjo players. Students will practice the skill they’ve learned in class and experience the joy of playing with others at a similar level in a group setting.
Prerequisite: Ukulele 1B or equivalent; equivalent may include being comfortable playing tunes such as Old Joe Clark, Boil ‘em Cabbage Down, Little Liza Jane, Cluck Old Hen, independently with steady rhythm.
What Students will Leave this class having learned:
- Tunes: Angelina Baker, Soldier’s Joy, John Henry, On Top of Old Smokey (core curriculum; and any other tunes students/instructors select)
- Technique: quicker tempos, playing & counting Waltz time
- Group playing skills: playing in the keys of A, D, and G
- Theory: down beat/off beat, starting syncopation
What students will need:
- Functional ukulele (bridge and all strings intact, tuners in working order)
- Notebook & pencil
- Recording device optional
Next Level: Ukulele 2B for Kids