- This event has passed.
Mandolin – Beginner II (Thursdays) with Marty Collin
Jan 9 @ 10:00 am - 10:55 am
An event every week that begins at 10:00 am on Monday, repeating until Mar 26, 2020
Description: This class is a continuation of Beginner I Mandolin. A lilting, woodsy Celtic melody, that bluegrass chop, singing-ringing chords, and that high and lonesome sound, this is the recipe Mandolin – Beginner II. More chords, more tunes, more single note picking, and more practice so those beginning, beautiful, ringing mandolin songs, and those challenging chord changes, become part of your mandolin vocabulary as you create your new library of old favorite tunes. Mandolin – Beginner II is designed to reinforce the strumming, chopping, chord skills, and single note playing at the place where a beginner’s class left off, and to introduce new colors and voices to make your old mandolin come to life. It is also perfect for anyone who long ago learned a few basic chords and simple tunes, left that mandolin in the closet or under the bed to gather dust, and wants to get back in to making warm wooden acoustic music again. accompaniment.
Prerequisite: Mandolin–Beginner I or a beginning mandolin class. This course is designed for someone who has taken their first mandolin class or instruction and is looking for the next step on their mandolin journey. Mandolin – Beginner I or equivalent, such as playing Boil ‘em Cabbage Down, Cripple Creak, and Long Journey Home, independently with slow and steady rhythm.
What Students will Leave this class having learned:
- Tunes: Let’s build a library with a variety of tunes and styles: a selection of old time, bluegrass, Celtic, folk, fiddle, and novelty tunes. Sample tunes: Amazing Grace, Old Joe Clark, Coleraine, Irish Washerwoman, Ashokan Farewell, Swallowtail Jig, Norwegian Wood, Let it Be, Theme from The Godfather, Theme from The Addams Family, Danny Boy, Greensleeves, I’ll Fly Away, Long Journey Home, Wayfaring Stranger, Old Dangerfield, Dark Hollow, Shady Grove.
- Technique: single note picking, bluegrass chop, tremolo, chord strumming.
- Group playing skills: playing with back-up, listening skills, playing in the keys of A, D, G and C.
What students will need:
- Functional mandolin (bridge, strings, and tuners intact and in working order)
- Notebook & pencil
- Recording device optional
Next Level: Mandolin – Intermediate I
If paying in full doesn’t work for your budget, you can pay in monthly installments. Pay for your first month below, and we’ll send an invoice for the remaining payments.