- This event has passed.
Mandolin 2A for Teens and Adults – Andy Thacker
February 11 @ 5:30 pm - 6:25 pm
An event every week that begins at 5:30pm on Monday, repeating until March 26, 2019
Description: This class is a continuation of Mandolin 1B. Students will really be ramping up their mandolin skills in this class! Quicker tempos and fancier variations will be a focus, as well as learning some new material including a waltz, Sally Goodin’, and John Henry, Students will continue to develop their right and left hand technique through some simple scales and will be also introduced to harmony. Group playing will also continue, reinforcing skills learned in 1A and 1B.
A passing jam will be held for 30mins after each core class for ukulele, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, and banjo players. Students will practice the skill they’ve learned in class and experience the joy of playing with others at a similar level in a group setting.
Prerequisite: Mandolin 1B or equivalent, such as playing Boil ‘em Cabbage Down, Cripple Creak, Cluck Old Hen, and Two Dollar Bill, and independently with slow and steady rhythm.
What Students will Leave this class having learned:
- Tunes: Cumberland Gap, Lonesome Road Blues, and Cumberland Gap (core curriculum; and any other tunes students/teachers select)
- Technique: Playing on the G string, 2 octave/first position scales (A, D, G), syncopation (Angelina Baker), simple dynamics
- Group playing skills: back-up, learning more about chords (continue chopping, playing with back-up back-up)
What students will need:
- Functional mandolin (bridge, strings, and tuners intact and in working order)
- Fiddles should have: bridge, strings, sound post, all tuners in tact
- Notebook & pencil
- Recording device optional
Next Level: Mandolin 2B