- This event has passed.
Cancelled – Mandolin 2A for Kids – Marty Collin
November 8, 2018 @ 4:15 pm - 5:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 4:15pm on Thursday, repeating until December 6, 2018
Description: This class is for students who have progressed through the beginner level. Students starting this class are comfortable playing a number of simple tunes with accompaniment in the keys of A, D, and G with consistent rhythm, and can also chop behind other solos. In addition to learning new tunes and fancier variations to familiar tunes, this class will introduce students to faster tempos and more complex rhythms, including ¾ time. Students will also continue learning about chords and scales and will be introduced to harmony.
Prerequisite: Mandolin 1B or equivalent; equivalent may include being comfortable playing tunes such as Old Joe Clark, Boil ‘em Cabbage Down, Little Liza Jane, Cluck Old Hen, independently with steady rhythm.
What Students will Leave this class having learned:
- Tunes: Angelina Baker, Soldier’s Joy, John Henry (core curriculum; and any other tunes students/instructors select)
- Technique: quicker tempos (16th notes), slurred notes, playing & counting Waltz time, syncopated timing (Angelina Baker)
- Group playing skills: How to kick-off and end a tune (Taters/count+ ending licks), playing with back-up, taking “breaks,” playing with back-up, playing in the keys of A, D, and G
- Theory: down beat/off beat, starting syncopation
What students will need:
- Functional mandolin (bridge and all 8 strings intact, tuners in working order)
- Notebook & pencil
- Recording device optional
Next Level: Mandolin 2B for Kids