- This event has passed.
Intro to Mandolin II for Adults – Marty Collin
May 9 @ 10:00 am - 10:55 am
An event every week that begins at 10:00 am on Thursday, repeating until May 30, 2019
Description: This class is a continuation of Intro Mandolin. Students will learn new tunes, a little harder than the first, and in new keys. Students will also learn new skills for playing with others, listening for chord changes, starting a tune with “taters” and ending them with “shave and a hair-cut.”
A passing jam will be held for 15mins after each core class for ukulele, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, and banjo players. Students will practice the skill they’ve learned in class and experience the joy of playing with others at a similar level in a group setting.
What Students will Leave this class having learned:
- Tunes: Cripple Creek, Cluck Old Hen, Two Dollar Bill (core curriculum; and any other tunes students/teachers select)
- Technique: finger positioning for playing G natural and C natural
- Group playing skills: How to kick-off and end a tune (Taters + shave and a hair cut), playing with back-up, taking “breaks,” playing with back-up, playing in the keys of A, D, and G
What students will need:
- Functional mandolin (bridge and all 8 strings intact, tuners in working order)
- Notebook & pencil
- Recording device optional
Next Level: Intermediate Mandolin for Adults