- This event has passed.
Guitar – Beginner I for Adults with Marty Collin
Sep 19 @ 11:00 am - 11:55 am
An event every week that begins at 11:00 am on Thursday, repeating until Dec 19, 2019
Description: This introductory guitar class is perfect for first time guitar players! Students will be taught foundational skills in technique, learn their first tunes, and be immersed in the culture of traditional music by learning to play with others in a fun, and positive environment. A few times throughout the semester, this class will join other beginner classes to hone group playing skills such as chopping and playing with accompaniment.
Prerequisite: None! This class will be starting students from scratch. Folks with a little prior experience but with only a tune or two under their belt may join this class as well. Feel free to ask for guidance regarding placement before registering.
What Students will Leave this class having learned:
- Technique: pick grip, using down strokes for simple melodies, alternate picking
- Tunes/Songs: Boil ’em Cabbage Down, Old Joe Clark, and Long Journey Home (other material may also be used)
- Group Playing skills: playing with accompaniment, playing the “boom-chuck” rhythm with and without alternating bass notes
- Other: How to read TAB
What students will need:
- Functional guitar (bridge and all 6 strings intact, tuners in working order)
- Notebook & pencil
- Recording device optional
Next Level: Guitar – Beginner II