- This event has passed.
Fiddle 1A for Kids Ages 7-8 – Malia Furtado
December 3 @ 3:30 pm - 4:15 pm
An event every week that begins at 3:30pm on Monday, repeating until December 3, 2018
Description: This introductory fiddle class is perfect for first time fiddlers! Students will be taught foundational skills in technique, learn their first fiddle tunes, and be immersed in the culture of traditional music by learning to play with others in a fun, and positive environment.
Prerequisite: None! This class will be starting students from scratch. Kids with a little prior experience but with only a tune or two under their belt may join this class as well.
A passing jam will be held for 15mins after each kid’s core class for ukulele, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, and banjo players. Students will practice the skill they’ve learned in class and experience the joy of playing with others at a similar level in a group setting.
What Students will Leave this class having learned:
- Tunes: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Boil ‘em Cabbage Down (core curriculum; and any other tunes students/teachers select)
- Technique: Bow hold, fiddle hold, fingering hand position, playing posture
- Group playing skills: playing with back-up, chopping, playing in the keys of A & D
What students will need:
- Functional fiddle, kids will need to be fitted for their instruments
- Fiddles should have: bridge, strings, sound post, all tuners in tact
- Bow (with all the hair)
- Shoulder rest
- Notebook & pencil
- Recording device optional
Next Level: Fiddle 1B