- This event has passed.
Fiddle – Beginner I (Thursdays) with Malia Furtado
Jan 9 @ 6:45 pm - 7:40 pm
An event every week that begins at 6:45 pm on Thursday, repeating until Mar 26, 2020
Price: $312 for 12 weeks
Description: This introductory fiddle class for is perfect for first time fiddlers! Students will be taught foundational skills in technique, learn a handful of simple fiddle tunes, and be immersed in the culture of traditional music by learning to play with others in a fun, and positive environment. A few times throughout the semester, this class will join other beginner classes to hone group playing skills such as chopping and playing with accompaniment.
Prerequisite: None! This class will be starting students from scratch. Folks with a little prior experience but with only a tune or two under their belt may join this class as well.
What Students will Leave this class having learned:
- Technique: bow hold, fiddle hold, fingering hand position, playing posture
- Tunes/Songs: Boil ’em Cabbage Down, Old Joe Clark, and Long Journey Home (other material may also be used)
- Group Playing skills: Chopping, playing with accompaniment, kicking off a tune with taters
- Other: A very basic overview of reading simple sheet music.
What students will need:
- Functional fiddle, size 4/4
- Fiddles should have: bridge, strings, sound post, all tuners in tact
- Bow (with all the hair)
- Shoulder rest
- Notebook & pencil
- Recording device optional
Next Level: Fiddle – Beginner II for Teens & Adults