- This event has passed.
Fiddle – Beginner I for Kids Ages 7-8yrs with Malia Furtado
Sep 9 @ 3:30 pm - 4:15 pm
An event every week that begins at 3:30 pm on Monday, repeating until Dec 16, 2019
Description: This introductory fiddle class is perfect for first time fiddlers! Students will be taught foundational skills in technique, learn to sing and play their first fiddle tunes, and be immersed in the culture of traditional music by learning to play with others in a fun, and positive environment. Parent participation is crucial to the your child’s musical development. Your knowledge of practice assignments, enthusiasm and support empowers your child and greatly helps to improve home practice and mastery of new material. Parents are asked to attend the last 10 minutes of class.
Prerequisite: None! This class will be starting students from scratch. Kids with a little prior experience but with only a tune or two under their belt may join this class as well. Feel free to ask for guidance regarding placement before registering.
What Students will Leave this class having learned:
- Tunes: The Pickle Song, the Monkey Song (may also include other similar pieces)
- Technique: Bow hold, fiddle hold, fingering hand position, playing posture
- Group playing skills: playing in unison, coming in on time
- Other: pitch, simple rhythms, and maintaining a steady pulse
What students will need:
- Functional fiddle, kids will need to be fitted for their instruments
- Fiddles should have: bridge, strings, sound post, all tuners in tact
- Shoulder rest
- Bow (with all the hair)
- Notebook & pencil
Next Level: Fiddle – Beginner II