- This event has passed.
Cancelled – Fiddle 2A for Kids – Malia Furtado
December 6, 2018 @ 4:15 pm - 5:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 4:15pm on Thursday, repeating until December 6, 2018
Description: This class is for students who have progressed through the beginner level. Students starting this class are comfortable playing a number of simple tunes with accompaniment in the keys of A, D, and G with consistent rhythm, and can also chop and play simple long bow single-string chords behind other solos. In addition to learning new tunes and fancier variations to familiar tunes, this class will introduce students to more complex rhythms and bowing patterns, including ¾ time. Students will also continue learning about chords and scales and will be introduced to harmony.
A passing jam will be held for 15mins after each kid’s core class for ukulele, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, and banjo players. Students will practice the skill they’ve learned in class and experience the joy of playing with others at a similar level in a group setting.
Prerequisite: Fiddle 1B or equivalent, such as playing all the Twinkle Variations and handful of other tunes such as Old Joe Clark, Boil ‘em Cabbage Down, Little Liza Jane, Cluck Old Hen, independently with steady rhythm.
What Students will Leave this class having learned:
- Tunes: Angelina Baker, Soldier’s Joy, John Henry, On Top of Old Smokey (core curriculum; and any other tunes students/instructors select)
- Technique: quicker tempos (16th notes), slurred notes, playing & counting Waltz time
- Group playing skills: how to kick-off and end a tune (Taters /pick-up notes+ shave and a hair cut), playing with back-up, taking “breaks,” long bow accompaniment for chord changes, playing with back-up, playing in the keys of A, D, and G
- Theory: down beat/off beat, starting syncopation
What students will need:
- Functional fiddle (kids will need to be fitted for their instruments)
- Fiddles should have: bridge, strings, sound post, all tuners in tact
- Bow (with all the hair)
- Shoulder rest
- Notebook & pencil
- Recording device optional
Next Level: Fiddle 2B