- This event has passed.
**SOLD OUT** Banjo – Beginner I (Mondays) with Marty Collin
Jan 6 @ 5:30 pm - 6:25 pm
An event every week that begins at 5:30 pm on Monday, repeating until Mar 30, 2020
Price: $312 for 12 weeks
*Closed 1/20 for MLK Day
Description: This introductory banjo class is perfect for first time banjo players! Students will be taught foundational skills in technique, learn their first tunes, and be immersed in the culture of traditional music by learning to play with others in a fun, and positive environment. A few times throughout the semester, this class will join other beginner classes to hone group playing skills such as chopping and playing with accompaniment.
Prerequisite: None! This class will be starting students from scratch. Students with a little prior experience but with only a tune or two under their belt may join this class as well.
What Students will Leave this class having learned:
- Technique: basic rolls (Forward, Backward, Forward-Backward, and Thumb In & Out)
- Tunes/Songs: Boil ’em Cabbage Down, Cripple Creek, Old Joe Clark (other similar tunes may also be used)
- Group Playing skills: playing with accompaniment, vamping
- Other: Reading TAB
What students will need:
- Functional banjo (bridge and all 5 strings intact, tuners in working order)
- Picks (1 thumb pick and two finger picks)
- Notebook & pencil
- Recording device optional
Next Level: Banjo – Beginner II for Teens and Adults