- This event has passed.
Cancelled – Banjo 2A for Kids – John Spangler
November 29, 2018 @ 4:15 pm - 5:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 4:15 pm on Thursday, repeating until December 6, 2018
Description: This class is a continuation of Banjo 1B. While students will continue to develop their right hand rolls and speed, students will keep developing their group playing skills by learning new chord positions, listening for chord changes, and learning some new ending licks. Students will also be adding some tunes in the key of D this semester, including old favorites Soldier’s Joy and Angelina Baker.
A passing jam will be held for 15mins after each kid’s core class for ukulele, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, and banjo players. Students will practice the skill they’ve learned in class and experience the joy of playing with others at a similar level in a group setting.
Prerequisite: Banjo 1B or equivalent, such as playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Boil ‘em Cabbage Down, Cripple Creek, Cluck Old Hen, Two Dollar Bill independently with slow and steady rhythm.
What Students will Leave this class having learned:
- Tunes: Soldier’s Joy, John Henry, Angelina Baker (core curriculum; and any other tunes students/teachers select)
- Technique: new chord positions, right hand speed/working on different rolls
- Group playing skills: How to kick-off and end a tune (pick-up notes, taters, counting into a song, shave and a hair-cut), playing with back-up, taking “breaks,” playing with back-up, playing in the keys of A, D, and G
What students will need:
- Functional banjo (bridge and all 5 strings intact, tuners in working order)
- Picks (1 thumb pick and two finger picks)
- Notebook & pencil
- Recording device optional
Next Level: Banjo 2B for kids