- This event has passed.
Banjo 1B for Teens and Adults with John Spangler
May 6 @ 7:00 pm - 7:55 pm
An event every week that begins at 7:00 pm on Monday, repeating until June 3, 2019
Description: This class is a continuation of Banjo 1A. Students will learn new tunes, a little harder than the first, and will learn some new, advancing, picking techniques, or “rolls”. Students will continue developing their group playing skills through focusing on listening for chord changes, learning to start tunes off with “taters,” and ending them with “shave and a haircut.”
Prerequisite: Banjo 1A or equivalent.
What Students will Leave this class having learned:
- Tunes: Cripple Creek, Cluck Old Hen, Two Dollar Bill (core curriculum; and any other tunes students/teachers select)
- Group playing skills: How to kick-off and end a tune (pick-up notes, taters, counting into a song, shave and a hair-cut), playing with back-up, taking “breaks,” playing with back-up, playing in the keys of A, D, and G
What students will need:
- Functional banjo (bridge and all 5 strings intact, tuners in working order)
- Picks (1 thumb pick and two finger picks)
- Notebook & pencil
- Recording device optional
Next Level: Banjo 2A for kids